A few months ago we created an infographic about Cincinnati Social Media usage that got a lot of buzz. I personally was pretty surprised by just how social businesses and individuals in Cincinnati are. How do you stack up to other Cincinnati companies and individuals in your use of social media?
How do You Stack Up?
These stats are specifically for Cincinnati (they are not national numbers)….
- 81% of brands participate in social media
- 63% of companies are prepared to respond on social media channels within a few hours
- 77% of companies manage their own social media
- 50% of Cincinnatians use social media professionally
- 74% have access to social media at work
- 43% have a social media policy
- 1/3 have social media training
How can You Catch Up?
If you aren’t there yet, don’t dispair. While many companies are active in social media, many are still in the stage of figuring it out and trying to understand how it can add value back to their business.
If you aren’t on social media sites yet, or you are a little embarrassed about your lack-lustre profiles, here are a few things that you can do to catch up.
- Start by Listening – Start your social media efforts by looking and listening (or stalking). Look at your competitors and your industry. What are people doing that seems to work? How can you learn from others?
- Get Social Media Training – While obviously this is what we specialize in at Boot Camp Digital, there are lots of other great ways to learn more about social media marketing including Chambers of Commerce and industry associations. Whether you are completely new to social media or are an old hand at it, training is the key first step towards social media marketing success. With the rate of change all social media practitioners are also perpetual students (including me). Take the time to get training.
- Have a Plan – Starting with “we need to be on social media” is a good start, but it isn’t a substitute for a solid social media marketing plan. Build a real social media marketing plan for your business. Know what you want to achieve from your social media efforts so that you can execute in a way that adds value back to your business.
- Start Small – Start with one site or by doing one thing. Don’t jump in head first. Trying to do everything at first will likely result in a lot of things that aren’t working vs a few things that are working. Find the site that you think will be easiest for you to be successful at and grow from there….
What do you think?
And In Case You Missed it – Here is the Infographic
Embed the Cincinnati Social Media Infographic on Your Site: Copy and Paste the Code Below (this infographic is free to use and share with attribution).
<img src=”http://bootcampdigital.com/nfs/c03/h02/mnt/52724/domains/bootcampdigital.com/html/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Cincinnati-Social-Media-Infographic1.png” alt=”” width=”540″ />
Cincinnati Social Media – An infographic by the team at <a href=”http://bootcampdigital.com/”>Boot Camp Digital Cincinnati Social Media Training</a>