I’m at the ad:tech conference this week (note – ad:tech is a client) which kicked off with an awesome keynote by Jamie Cohen Szulc, the CMO of Levi Strauss. The keynote was great – Jamie had a very engaging and entertaining presentation – if you ever get a chance to hear him speak DO IT!
There were a few key insights that I took away that I want to share.
- Play Your Position – Brands approach digitl like 5 year olds playing soccer. They see the ball and they run towards it. Play your position and be strategic. Stay the course.
- Lose Control to Gain Advantages - Brands have to get comfortable losing some control online in order to win in the digital space. Encourage and inspire conversation and go with the flow to be successful.
- Quality and Consumer Relevance – Are the core of digital marketing. Provide a great experience that is relevant to your consumers through your marketing and your product.
- Control over Brand Identity is a Thing of the Past – Brands are being defined through social media and through what people chose to share. Brand identity is increasingly based on the consumer experiences and articulation of these experiences.
- Strategy and Execution should be Separate – Keep strategy and execution separate to be successful in the space. This helps you stay strategic vs. reactive.