- Play Your Position – Brands approach digitl like 5 year olds playing soccer. They see the ball and they run towards it. Play your position and be strategic. Stay the course.
- Lose Control to Gain Advantages - Brands have to get comfortable losing some control online in order to win in the digital space. Encourage and inspire conversation and go with the flow to be successful.
- Quality and Consumer Relevance – Are the core of digital marketing. Provide a great experience that is relevant to your consumers through your marketing and your product.
- Control over Brand Identity is a Thing of the Past – Brands are being defined through social media and through what people chose to share. Brand identity is increasingly based on the consumer experiences and articulation of these experiences.
- Strategy and Execution should be Separate – Keep strategy and execution separate to be successful in the space. This helps you stay strategic vs. reactive.
But where else can you physically hang with so many people in the marketing/interactive/advertising/social/geek space all at once. Evan Williams. Kevin Rose. Bob Garfield (yes, I include him), Justine Ezarik, David Armano, Brian Solis, Henry Copeland, Gary Vaynerchuk, Chris Brogan, Violet Blue, Rick Webb, Ze Frank, Jason Fried, Guy Kawasaki, Pete Cashmore, Marshall Kirkpatrick, Jeremiah Owyang, Benjamin Palmer, Adam Pash, Jeff Pulver, Ian Schafer, Ariel Waldman, Adam Wallace. And, yea, Ashton Kutcher.It is true. SXSW has one of the best collections of people, and countless opportunities for networking, sharing ideas or just making friends. SXSW is probably best known for the party scene, and while it may seem that partying isn’t work, the party scene is where some of the best connections are made. My friend Lewis Howes (who I sadly hardly saw this year) points out that some of the best business is done at 2am (although I suppose that depends on how many drinks you have had). During SXSW I had the opportunity to connect with many new and old friends. For me, SXSW has resulted in 2 direct business opportunities and 2 opportunities to collaborate on projects with people I really respect. I was also on the front page of the Thoora sxsw newsletter (above). Next year, if you get the opportunity plan on joining us.