LinkedIn is the social network that everyone is on, but few people use. Using LinkedIn can provide significant value for business professionals and companies, but most people are not aware of the power of LinkedIn and the robust opportunities it offers to connect with business professionals, grow your persona brand and promote your organization.
I personally get significant business from LinkedIn by using these strategies. I can attribute actual $$ back to my activity on LinkedIn. Want more connections ADD ME to your LinkedIn (just leave a comment reminding me that I invited you here)
Here are some of the things that you can do on LinkedIn to stay up to date and relevant and start getting value out of LinkedIn.
Your LinkedIn Profile
- Update your status to show that you are a thought-leader in your industry. Post interesting and relevant things with your commentary.
- Make sure you have a great photo that is professional and actually looks like you.
- Update your jobs and be sure that they include keywords in the title and description that you may want to be found based on.
- Check out the People You May Know recommendations and add contacts
- Click Add Contacts and upload your emails to see who you have emailed lately that is on LinkedIn
- Add people you met this week to continue to grow and expand your network
- Add applications to your profile to connect with your other social networks
- Update applications like your Amazon reading list
LinkedIn groups can be a great way to connect with others in your industry and build awareness outside of the people that you already know. Here are some of the things that you can do to stay active on LinkedIn Groups.
- Join new groups that are relevant to your industry where you can contribute or learn
- Start discussions on items relevant to the group
- Comment on discussions where you have something to contribute
- Add a promotion if you have an event that you want to promote
- Check for group members that you may want to add to your network
- Read popular discussions posted in your groups as a way to learn
- Start a group where you can connect with like-minded people with similar interests
- Post a question that is on your mind
- Answer a question that is relevant to your industry
- Search questions in your industry to see what others are asking
Connecting With Your Connections
- Comment on the status of your connections to stay top of mind
- Write a recommendation of someone who rocks
- Request a recommendation from a business partner or client
- Request an introduction to someone you want to meet
- Send messages to people in your network
- Search for people that you would like to add to your network
- Respond to any messages in your inbox
Promote Your Company
- Create a company page
- Add products and services to your page to show what you can do
- Request reviews from clients
- Post Jobs to get applicants if you are hiring
- Have Employees add you to accurately show your employees
- Connect your blog or Twitter account to your company page to keep people up to date