Whether you’re ready or not, 2013 is going to be here before we know it. While most people are stressing out about getting ready for the holidays, it’s also important to start thinking about getting your social media marketing strategy in shape for 2013. If you look at some of the statistics for social media usage in 2012, it’s clear that social media is only getting bigger…
Each day in 2012:
- 100,000 Tweets are sent out
- 48 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube
- 684,478 pieces of content are shared on Facebook
It was a huge year for social media:
- Facebook reached 1 billion users
- Instagram reached over 100 million users in less than 2 years
- Pinterest became the fastest growing network to reach the 10 million unique visitor mark
These statistics are changing every day, and will only continue to grow. The most important thing to remember is that you have to plan. As Erik Qualman puts it, “The ROI of social media is that your business will still exist in 5 years.” The question is not whether or not you should be on social media, because the answer should be YES. The real question is how to make the most out of social media and how to get the most engagement and interaction from your fans on networks like Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
For now, think about what your fans and consumers want to see on your social networks. Here are some statistics for your to consider when starting to build your social media strategy:
- 83% of networkers want deals and promotions from following brands
- 70% of social networks want rewards programs
- 58% of people want exclusive content
Be sure to keep these statistics in mind when you are laying out your strategy and how you are going to handle each network in 2013. If you need more in-depth training, you can check out our Social Media for 2013 Training class!