Feb 02 2021
Digital marketing is an exciting career and digital marketers are in high demand. Every business needs it to be successful. Important messages can be amplified with digital strategies and tools. If you have digital marketing skills, a world of opportunities opens up to you.
There are also a lot of career path options in digital. Some marketers are great strategists while others specialize in fields like SEO or digital advertising or content marketing. Some marketers have a wide skill set and are able to manage multiple strategies. Whether you are a strategic thinker, creative, or technical, there are many options for digital marketers to find their niche.
With all of the options and wide variety of skill sets and career paths in digital marketing, it’s challenging to know where to start. Here are 5 tips to learn how to become a digital marketer, even if you are starting out with no experience at all.
- Build Your Skill Set. Start with a digital marketing course that covers everything from strategy to implementation. Determine the areas of digital marketing where you are most skilled. You may decide at this point to specialize in a specific area of digital marketing such as SEO or social media marketing. Look for a course that is accredited or industry-recognized, provides resources to guide implementation not just theory, and has a good track record of success. Boot Camp Digital courses are consistently top-rated. And, you get one on one time with an expert. We’ll take a look at your accounts, give feedback and answer your questions. Our All Access Pass includes access to over 30 courses and over 200 downloads of quick start guides, checklists and planners.
- Stay up to date. Digital marketing changes quickly and there is always something new to learn. It’s important to stay up to date with what’s new, current trends and major updates. Our Digital Marketing Insider Members get a monthly live news update from our CEO Krista Neher, top rated digital marketing and social media expert, on everything you need to know about what’s new in digital and social. Want in? Sign up for our All Access Pass to become a Digital Marketing Insider.
- Attend events or conferences – virtual or in person. There is no shortage of opportunities to network with peers and learn from other digital marketers. Conferences like Search Marketing Expo, Content Marketing World, and Advertising Week are great places to learn new skills and network with other marketers. In my early days of marketing, many of these conferences sent my learning curve on a vertical trajectory. Don’t be shy either! Take advantage of the social gatherings to meet other marketers and ask them for tips and advice on how to get started.
- Work for free. The best way to learn digital marketing is by doing. The more you practice, the more you will understand how things work, and you’ll sharpen your skills and improve your results over time. Do you have friends or family with a small business who need a little marketing help? Or maybe a favorite restaurant or local business who you would love to work with? Offer to do a marketing campaign for free. Be transparent and let them know you are looking for an opportunity to hone your skills. If you do it for free, they can’t get mad if you don’t get results, but when you do get results they will be excited about the free boost in revenue you just created for them!
- Build Your Personal Brand. Your objective is to get hired as a digital marketer, so build your online presence and portfolio and show your audience what you’re best at. Showcase your writing and SEO skills by creating a blog. Build awareness through social media posts. Practice the tools you learn on your own brand and use what you learn to bring success to your clients and the organizations you work with.
The best way to get started with digital marketing is to learn by doing. Start with a solid foundation of education, stay up to date on the news and trends, and always be building your skill set by trying new things and learning what works to get the results you want. This is the best way to build a career as a digital marketer!
Read some more of our recent posts