Digital marketing is already over 50% of most ad budgets and this number is only growing. If you still have your head in the sand you need to snap out of it immediately. These 11 stats underscore the importance and changes in digital marketing that you can’t afford to ignore.
- Mobile will account for 72% of digital ad spend by 2019.
This means that you can’t still be thinking Desktop first (although desktop does account for more conversions, typically). The reality is that everything is mobile. We don’t do “mobile marketing training” any more because EVERYTHING is mobile and if you want to be relevant you are too.
- 72% of marketers said relevant content was the most effective SEO tactic.
This isn’t a new trend – it has been in the making for YEARS with Google updates. Great, relevant content is your key to SEO success. It isn’t about tricking Google – it is about creating great experiences for humans.
- Content marketing costs 62% less than traditional marketing and generates about 3 times as many leads.
Related to the stat above – content marketing is important – and if you still aren’t thinking about content you need to start yesterday. Especially in B2B it’s a great way to generate leads and connect with your customers.
- Social media is the most popular content marketing tactic used by 90% of businesses.
Social media seems to rise and fall in terms of popularity, but the bottom line is that it is STILL a powerful tactic in your marketing toolbox. Even though it’s more and more “pay to play” it is still big and growing and worth including in your strategy.
- Adwords and search spending still grow at over 20%.
It sometimes seems that we are so excited about the new things in digital that we forget the basics. Adwords and search are your foundation. Get them in order. They are big, important, and growing.
- Instagram influencer spending doubled last year.
Influencers on Instagram and elsewhere are a key part of your success. You can’t afford to ignore them and the power that they can bring. Consider how you can leverage Influencers as a part of your strategy. Even in B2B they can be a tremendous asset.
- Instagram stories are bigger than Snapchat and have grown faster than Facebook Messenger.
I was in Facebook Dublin a few weeks ago and Facebook shared this stat. I was SHOCKED!!! I knew that Instagram was big but didn’t know that Stories were so big. Time to consider them in your strategy (and BONUS you can get organic reach from them).
- Tablet sales have continued to decline. Smartphones are where it’s at.
This is maybe a random tidbit but it’s important. Tablets are less and less popular as smartphones are smarter and do more. Personally I rarely use my tablet any more, so I don’t find this trend surprising.
- 90% of searchers haven’t made their mind up about a brand before starting their search.
SEARCH MATTERS. A LOT. REGARDLESS OF YOUR BUSINESS. Seriously, people search in EVERY category (even things like CPG) and they make decisions based on what they find. Don’t ignore search.
- A video thumbnail in the search results can double your search traffic.
Video isn’t just for social media – it is a part of EVERY aspect of your online marketing strategy. Video thumbnail in search = results – so make sure that your video strategy isn’t just on social media but also on your website, YouTube, and more. And CONNECT IT TO SEARCH!
- 20% of people will read the text on a page, but 80% of people will watch a video. If you are reading this now you are in the minority.
Ha! Seriously though. People who are REALLY interested read text. People who are not so interested will still watch a quick video. Consider using video more and better as a part of your strategy. Text is easier but video can be more powerful. Start experimenting NOW!
Take control of your results and your future career success by learning about digital marketing now. Want to stay up-to-date in Digital Marketing? Join Digital Marketing Insiders to stay up-to-date with our advanced community.