20 Tips for Conversion Optimization
- Use the right tool for your business. Consider your needs and the amount of time that you have to spend, as well as your organization when choosing optimization tools.
- Optimize acquisition channels first. Your top entry pages should be optimized first along with any paid landing pages.
- Scrutinize Lift vs. Shift. Optimization efforts usually only account for the specific page that is being optimized, not the entire optimization of the site. You may see a shift vs. an increase.
- Feel the Pain. Put yourself in the shoes of your customer and consider how easy or difficult your site processes and flows are for the customer.
- Analyze Your Competition.
- Engage Test Groups – Try running mini focus groups or free online focus groups: fivesecondtest.com or usabilla.com
- Recommend products and services. Upsell by looking at historical preferences or anticipated reorders.
- Improve Self-help. Better documentation, video tutorials, FAQs, public service messaging, comprehensive downloads, etc.
- Obsess over search like Google Engineers Do. Internal search (or how people can search your website) is very important – as people tell you what they are looking for you have a great opportunity to convert them.
- Be careful with promotions. Too many promotions can train customers to wait for a sale price or hold off. A promotion should be time constrained to create a sense of urgency.
- Live Up to The Hype. Testimonials and processional affiliations can help your conversion rates.
- Content is king.
- Integrate web analytics capabilities. To segment your traffic and learn more about your audience and give them a customized experience.
- Optimization helps SEO. A better user experience helps with your SEO.
- LeverageCRM data. Consider optimizing based on data you already have about your customer.
- Apply monetary value to optimizations. You should be able to tie actual $$ to optimization efforts.
- Make optimization a routine. Plan ahead based on business goals
- Build a culture of optimization.
- Take everyone along for the ride.
Garry Przyklenk is an expert in lead generation, search engine marketing, web analytics, and social media marketing. He has successfully championed creative marketing campaigns and executed on actionable insights in several vertical markets including media, insurance, technology, and telecommunications. As Manager of Analytics Implementation at TD Bank Financial Group, Przyklenk leads a successful group of web analytics implementation professionals that create online measurement solutions that yield actionable insights for key business stakeholders. He also runs a successful online marketing blog and web analytics blog.