- Online Training
- Live Training
- Team Training
- Free Resources
- [email protected]
- +1 513 223 3878
Feb 21 2011
We all know that social media has exploded in popularity, but what we don’t realize is the magnitude to which it is still growing. This past year social media has seen huge expansions. Below are some of the noteworthy statistics on the growth of social media.
1. 65% of the population uses Facebook or Linkedin in. Social Media Today
2. Around 500 million people have an account on Facebook.
3. The average Facebook user has about 130 friends.
4. The total population of Facebook spends 700 billion minutes on Facebook a month.
5. Facebook is available in 70 language translations because 70% of Facebook use is outside of the United States.
6. The average Facebook user is connected to 80 community sites, blogs, etc.
7. 30 million pieces of content are shared a month on Facebook and the average person creates 90 unique pieces of information.
8. According to Facebook, 50% of users log on at least everyday. Econsultancy
9. In the past year Facebook photo uploads have increased 100%
10. Within the past year the age group of 65+ has grown 100% on Facebook.
11. As of now, there are 200 million active mobile users accessing Facebook through cell phones.
12. Two out of three people with cell phones have some way to access the internet from that phone. Social Media Today
14. Mobile Facebook users are twice as active as those who access through computer alone.
15. Since April 2010, 10,000 new sites integrate with Facebook everyday.
16. Of the worlds largest companies 33% have made Facebook contacts. Social Media Today
17. Of the top 100 websites 2/3 have integrated with Facebook. Social Media Today
18. 52% of the population uses a microblogging site like twitter. Social Media Today
19. Over 100 million users signed up with Twitter in 2010. Mashable
20. Twitter gains up to 300,000 new “tweeters” a day. Social Media Today
21. 21% 0f tweeters follow 100 people or more. Mashable
22. 16% of people on twitter have over 100 followers. Mashable
23. 44% of tweeters provide a website URL. Mashable
24. 80.6% of tweeters have made less than 500 tweets, meaning most users are new or inactive. Mashable
25. On Twitter, the average Fortune 100 company is followed by 1,500 people. Social Media Today
26. 89% of people use blogs and other social media to research the latest stories and gossip. Social Media Today
27. 32% of buyers post questions on social media sites. Social Media Today
28. In 2011 there will be more unique pages of information published on the web than in the last 5,000 years. Social Media Today
29. Linkedin users total 50 million world wide. That’s about a million new users a month since last August. Econsultancy
30. From the worlds largest companies, 43% of employes use Linkedin for professional reasons. Smart Bug Media
31. 100% of Fortune 500 companies have executives using Linkedin. Smart Bug Media
32. 50% of Linkedin users are also decision makers in their companies or jobs. Smart Bug Media
33. 65% of journalists use Linkedin for research in their stories. Smart Bug Media
Try FREE for 5 Days!
4 Replies to “Incredible Social Media Stats from 2010”
Thanks, Krista. An impressive list. I’ll use this as I educate people about potential business uses of social media. I read on the Inbound Marketing blog that it is predicted that by 2014 about 165 million people will be using social networks. This includes 55+ and oldder age groups. About 57% of 55-64 year olds will be on social networks and 38% of 65+. All age groups are growing in the social networks at an extremely rapid pace. It’s not just for teens anymore!
Thanks for the comment and for sharing your stats. Annie put together a great list here! It is amazing how quickly social media is growing!
Those are all interesting stats, I’ll probably tweet them out later.
Those are interesting stats, will need to tweet them out to my followers .. on your behalf of course!