Mar 03 2010
A new study from PEW Internet research shows that news is moving increasingly online & mobile and is getting increasingly social & participatory.
The internet has surpassed newspapers and radio in popularity as a news platform on a typical day and now ranks just behind TV.
Some of the most interesting stats:
- 92% of Americans get news from multiple platforms
- 46% get news from 4 – 6 platforms per day
- 59% of Americans get news from online and off-line
- Online is the third most popular news platform
Online News Consumer are Less Loyal:
- Most use between 2 and 5 online news sources
- 65% do not have a single favorite online news site
- Only 21% rely on a single site for their news
- 8 in 10 online news consumers get or share links in email
News is Increasingly Portable, Personalized and Participatory:
- Portable : 33% of cell phone owners now access news on their cell phones.
- Personalized : 28% of internet users have customized their home page to include news from sources and on topics that particularly interest them.
- Participatory : 37% of internet users have contributed to the creation of news, commented about it, or disseminated it via postings on social media sites like Facebook or Twitter.
Where do People get their News in a Typical Day?
- 78% of Americans say they get news from a local TV station
- 73% say they get news from a national network such as CBS or cable TV station such as CNN or FoxNews
- 61% say they get some kind of news online
- 54% say they listen to a radio news program at home or in the car
- 50% say they read news in a local newspaper
- 17% say they read news in a national newspaper such as the New York Times or USA Today.
37% of Internet Users Have Contributed to the Creation of the News:
- commenting on a news story (25%)
- posting a link on a social networking site (17%)
- tagging content (11%)
- creating their own original news material or opinion piece (9%)
- or Tweeting about news (3%)
News is Customized:
- 28% of internet users have customized their home page to include news from their favorite source or topics
- 40% of internet users say an important feature of a news website to them is the ability to customize the news they get from the site
- 36% of internet users say an important part of a news website to them is the ability to manipulate content themselves such as graphics, maps, and quizzes.
Some food for thought….
Read some more of our recent posts