This is true.
I didn’t make it up.
An article that I stumbled across on AdWeek showed that an average Barista at Starbucks get more training than those who work at advertising agencies.
The problem is that advertising agencies don’t invest in training the same way that other talent driven organizations like consulting or accounting do. Even their clients, companies like P&G and Google invest more in training.
According to the study, here is how agencies invest in training:
- 16 hours per year for an average employee
- $1,000 per year per employee (with cuts projected)
- Only 2 days per year for managers
Starbucks employees, on the other hand:
- 24 hours in the first month
- Investment in training isn’t revealed
- Training includes handbooks, workshops, seminars
If agencies want to stay competitive, especially in a world that changes quickly, they have to invest in training. Check out the infographic below.