If you’ve not yet had a bottle of wine that actually speaks to you, then you’re really missing out on something special. Check out the video below to see Joe Busam from Boot Camp Digital demo the 19 Crimes augmented reality app.
The makers of 19 Crimes, a wine label established in 2013 by Treasury Wine Estates, launched an AR app in July of last year. Using the camera in a smart device, wine enthusiasts need only to hover their phone in front of a bottle of the wine and mugshots of infamous 18th century British criminals come to life as 3D characters who recount their side of the story. Having committed at least one of the 19 crimes punishable by exile to Australia, these convicts now humor and delight wine drinkers across the globe.
The buzz around the talking labels has certainly raised interest and buy-in from consumers. 19 Crimes is currently one of the fastest-growing brands in the TWE portfolio (source). In the past year alone, the brand has grown by 60% in volume sales and 70% in value according to Better Retailing (source).
With success of the app having been downloaded over 500,000 times in less than seven months (source), the app was updated and renamed “Living Wine Labels” in February 2018. It now brings to life a handful of wine labels including wines from Chateau St. Jean, Beringer Brothers and The Walking Dead wines. It can be downloaded for free on iTunes or Google Play.
Five reasons 19 Crimes has seen success from Augmented Reality Marketing:
- The idea isn’t over-complicated. The game-play is simple yet creative and entertaining.
- Consumers intuitively know how to interact with the technology at-hand.
- The interaction is unexpected and surprising, and people are eager to share their experience with family, friends and social networks.
- Augmented Reality is one tactic being used in an already strong marketing strategy.
- Augmented Reality is being used to enhance the customer experience.
For tips on integrating emerging technologies into your marketing strategy check out this article.
See why augmented reality will become more accessible to marketers in 2018 here.
Check back here often for updates in augmented reality marketing.