Check out our round-up of the biggest changes in social media and digital marketing from the last month. Let us do the work for you, we gather the updates, you reap the benefit of having all of them in one place!
We read all of the latest social media news so you don’t have to.
As a value add for our All Access Pass Members, we provide a monthly call where in 30 minutes we share the biggest changes in social media and importantly how they impact your social media strategy and 30 minutes of open Q&A where we answer questions from our members!
The top news in social media that we covered this month includes:
- The world is ending again (not really) as Facebook changes their algorithm AGAIN – This once again reduces visibility of Pages (nothing really new here)… so you may see a decline in your organic reach. Stick to a solid strategy of great content that people actually like and a healthy ad budget and you’ll continue to see success. This change is important to note if you track progress as you may see a decline in your results.
- Limit or restrict audiences on Facebook LIVE broadcasts – You can now limit audiences based on age, gender or location… this may make live streams more accessible to heavily restricted brands.
- Facebook Messenger has over a billion users – Facebook messenger is huge and growing – stay tuned as Facebook tries to take ownership over the messaging space.
- Facebook is testing payments on Messenger – Making it easy for people to transfer $$ directly through Messenger – as you can see, Facebook is investing a lot in Messenger.
- Facebook LIVE gets fun with MSQRD integration – This allows users to go live with “masks” and feels similar to some of the fun SnapChat features that people love.
- Get the down low on setting up your business account and using analytics – Last month we discussed new Instagram business profiles – they were hot off the press and we didn’t have all of the details on them. Check out this great post for more details on how to access and take advantage of business profiles.
- Instagram allows businesses to moderate comments – As expected, Instagram will continue to roll out business features to entice businesses to switch to business accounts. The latest is comment moderation available for business accounts – this is a great way to combat all of the SPAM comments that are becoming commonplace on Instagram.
- Twitter opens up verified accounts – If you’ve been wanting a verified account for yourself or your business there is now an application process. A verified account shows that your account is legitimate.
- Twitter Dashboard for business gives new tools for Twitter management – Most social media managers have used Twitter management tools like Hootsuite or Tweetdeck to work around the limited functionality of Twitter. This appears to be a move to drive more people to use Twitter directly vs. Third Party Tools.
- Twitter adds stickers and makes them searchable – This is interesting as Twitter seems to bet getting inspiration from SnapChat — making taking and sharing photos more fun.
- Pinterest adds functionality around Buyable Pins – Pinterest is one of the best sites at driving purchases – new features allow you to add products from multiple merchants into one bag. If you have e-commerce you need to pay attention to this. They also announced new search and merchant profiles.
- SnapChat adds “suggest” so you can suggest your friends follow people – As SnapChat continues to evolve and try to capture market share they are adding new features to make content and profiles more discoverable. The newest feature allows users to suggest their friends follow someone – this can make it easier to grow your following.
- SnapChat Memories lets you save your Snaps – Create Memories with snapchat by saving your best snaps and even compiling them together.
- 3 new features – tweet embeds, replay highlights and live autoplay – Periscope continues to grow their functionality in an effort to beat Facebook and YouTube in the live streaming space. Highlights automatically creates a trailer for Periscopes. Periscopes can be played by embedding Tweets making them more accessible online. Broadcasts will autoplay on the Android app when you login.