You’ve probably heard of Instagram by now – with over 40 million users (which is twice the size of Pinterest) and it was recently acquired by Facebook for 1 billion dollars (insert Dr. Evil laugh here).
Here are some of the most impressive stats about Instagram:
- More than 50 million users over the past 2 years
- 300 million pictures uploaded to Facebook from Instagram every day
- One new user gained every second
- One billion photos have been taken with the app
- 58 photos uploaded to Instagram every minute
What is Instagram and How Does it Work?
Instagram is a smartphone based photography application and social network. Instagram is an application that can be downloaded to an iPhone or Android phone in the application marketplace.
Users of Instagram can easily snap photos from their smartphone and quickly edit them to make them more beautiful and interesting. Instagram uses a variety of filers that allows users to easily change the look of an image, the border or the focus point. The simple user-friendly nature of Instagram makes it easy for an average person to take stunning images.
If you have an Iphone or Android give it a try – you’ll be surprised at how quickly you can become a photographer!
In addition to taking beautiful photos, Instagram also has it’s own social network. Similar to Facebook or other social networks, users of Instagram can follow each other and view, comment on and like the images of their friends, as well as other images that have been publicly shared on Instagram.
Instagram, like any social network is a community – a part of success on Instagram is to participate in the community.
How Are Businesses Using Instagram?
A few weeks ago I wrote a post for ClickZ about the trend in images and how important it is for businesses to have great images.
The reality is that every business needs great images to be successful on the social web, and Instagram is a great potential source of these images.
Here are some of the ways that businesses are using Instagram:
- Encourage customers to use Instagram at business
- Instagram contest with tagged content
- Create Instagram account and share content
- Behind the scenes images
- Employee instagram contest
- Instagram photos on Facebook, Twitter, etc
- Instagram photos on Pinterest
- Build community and awareness on Instagram
These are just a few of the ways – to learn more about Instagram and see exactly how it works and how you can use it for your business, check out our Images and Instagram Social Media Training Online.